What Happened in Barcelona Doesn’t Stay in Barcelona
Written by Shackleton Technologies
Barcelona is a beautiful, vibrant city with so much to offer. Whether you are into art, culture, architecture, shopping or food and drink; there is something for everyone
A few of us from Shackleton visited Barcelona recently to attend DattoCon 2018, a 3-day European event for IT managed service providers like us, who wish to grow their business. It was an action-packed agenda of non-stop learning and networking.
For some of us, it was our first Datto conference, so it was great to understand what others in Shackleton had experienced at other events. It was great to meet people from all over Europe, as well as the USA and Australia. The only thing that let us down was the weather. It was like being in Scotland but with warmer rain!
And what an event it was. The highlights:
- A very emotional tribute to Andrew Stuart - Datto’s Global HR Leader, a fellow Scotsman who died earlier this year – a huge shock for his family, his colleagues and to those who knew him in the industry. Just a great guy. Everyone at the conference received this badge as a tribute.
- The Datto Disaster Recovery demo - where an industrial shredder was used to destroy several devices, including a Surface Pro which was painful to watch! However, in less than a minute, the data on the device was fully recovered. A small lesson for everyone on how crucial it is to have proper backup!
- A keynote speech from Bear Grylls on never giving up! We didn’t expect him to be so humble about his extraordinary achievements.
- The insightful educational sessions - especially the business forums where we openly discuss the challenges of how we run our businesses and how we can all improve the services to our clients.
- Shackleton receiving a Golden Datto Award! Thank you very much!
- The after-show party where the band ‘The Spazmatics’ were flown in from Orlando, Florida to entertain us all.
The fantastic thing about these conferences is that the focus isn’t just on the technical aspect of IT, but on sales, marketing and business management. It is a true business event. We even had the opportunity to discuss it all over some tapas!
Overall, we gained so much from attending this event. We came home with some key actions and tools to check out further, and to share with our team. This will enhance our service offering and be of real benefit to our clients.
Our tickets are purchased for DattoCon in Paris 2019 – we can’t wait!
Communicate Better – Lose Your Mobile
Here at Shackleton, we really enjoy meeting people. Existing clients, prospective clients, partners, friends - they’re important to us and we want them to know that.
GDPR: It’s real, it’s expensive and it applies to you too
The hype surrounding GDPR has died down since go-live – but there are warning signs that the ICO is cracking down.